6.1.12

Ryoichi Kurokawa interviewed @ Digimag, It, 2006


Bertram Niessen: First of all I'd like to ask you something about your idea of audio-video integration. Sounds and images are always very connected in your works and you keep a very close attention to synaesthesia. Can you tell us something about it?
Ryoichi Kurokawa: Audio is one thing, image is another. There is a big difference between light and sound, however when I create audiovisual works, I consider sound and imagery as a unit not as separately. Except collaboration with musician, when I imagine an idea on works, the images and the sounds simultaneously come out into my brain. Always these ideas appear into my imagination abstractly as the images having sounds and as the audio having lights.



Bertram Niessen: Your work seems to be very balanced and cool. Does design have a great influence on your work? And in general what are the artistic disciplines you consider the most important? 
Ryoichi Kurokawa: For me, the most influential importance is the nature. There are various abstract forms and sounds, diverse colors, motion of sounds and light, and its velocity and perspective. I absorb and save them in memory, and they will be the origin of materials composing pieces. I get ideas from architecture, text and photograph too.



Bertram Niessen: Could you tell us something about the setting-up of your performances and videos? Do you usually start from sound or images? Or does everything come up from a specific technique?
Ryoichi Kurokawa: Before creation, I already have a finished conception and I realize them with PC. While I working, sometimes they have a little differences from the original imagination, though their various patterns are valuable for me. Basically I don't draw what I imagine in my brain as a picture, and I directly create with PC. At first, I transform visual information. After the rough of visual part is formed, I conduct a transformation of sonic information and get through with audio, and I complete motion pictures again. Finally I adjust the close operation of images and sounds. So actually, I have big three part of general system of operarion(video>>audio>>video).



Bertram Niessen: What is the technical set-up of your performances?
Ryoichi Kurokawa: Basically live performance is a multi-channels video projection. I control audiovisual materials with two laptops and MIDI controller e.t.c. Since two laptops are connected via a local area network, I can send value/message from one computer to another. I output videos from each computer and audio form one.